CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES
Take your holiday sugar cookies to the next level by flavouring the dough with peppermint extract and topping them with our rich Chocolate Peppermint Glaze.
Yield: Makes 4 dozen.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Chocolate Peppermint Glaze
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Using low speed, beat in egg and peppermint extract until blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture just until combined. Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove one disc of dough from refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Using a floured 2 inch cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining disc of dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until cookies are firm around edges. Let cookies stand for 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove from cookie sheets and cool cookies completely on racks.
- Spread with Chocolate Peppermint Glaze. Let stand until glaze is set. Store, layered with wax paper, in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen.
65 calories, 3.6 g fat, 0.7 g protein, 8.1 g carbohydrate, 1.0 g fibre, 78 mg sodium
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3 oz (84 g) chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tsp white corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Combine whipping cream, chocolate and butter in a small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in corn syrup and peppermint extract.