CHOCOLATE STOUT BUNDT CAKE
The toasty flavour and silky texture of stout beer makes it a perfect match for chocolate. Topped with a creamy ganache, this cake is an easy but impressive dessert.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- 1 can (440 mL) stout or other strong dark beer
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Heat stout in a small saucepan over low heat until steaming and just beginning to simmer, about 10 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Add butter, whisking until melted. Add cocoa and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, maple syrup and eggs until combined. Gradually whisk in stout mixture until blended.
- Stir in flour mixture just until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased and cocoa-dusted 14 cup Bundt pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 40 – 45 minutes.
- Cool pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto rack and cool completely. May be prepared to this point and frozen for up to 1 month.
- To prepare ganache, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Place cream in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until steaming and just beginning to simmer. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour hot cream into bowl with chocolate. Using a whisk, stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; cool completely. Ganache may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat over low heat.
- Place cake on a serving plate. Drizzle ganache over top, allowing ganache to run down sides of cake. Serve immediately.
538 calories, 24.1 g fat, 10.4 g protein, 74.5 g carbohydrate, 4.1 g fibre, 420 mg sodium