CINNAMON SWIRL RAISIN BREAD
This yeast bread is flavoured with cinnamon and other spices as well as orange, raisins and honey. Toast and serve with butter and honey or use it to make a spectacular French toast.
Yield: Makes 2 loaves.
July 02, 2019
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 pkg (8 g) instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup warm water (100 - 110°F)
- 1/2 cup homogenized milk heated to 100 - 110°F
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 2 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins or raisins
- Canola oil (for oiling bowl)*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Combine 3 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, yeast, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater.
- Whisk together warm water, heated milk, egg, honey, vanilla and orange peel until blended.
- Add water mixture to flour mixture. Using low speed, beat until dough comes together and forms a ball, gradually beating in remaining 1/4 cup bread flour if dough is too sticky.
- Change stand mixer attachment to a dough hook. Add butter. Using low speed, beat for 6 minutes.
- Add raisins and continue beating for 2 minutes. Dough will be sticky.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/4 - 2 hours.
- Combine sugar and 2 tbsp cinnamon; set aside.
- On a clean surface, divide dough in half. Roll one half of dough into a 12x8 inch rectangle. Sprinkle rectangle with half of sugar mixture. Starting with a long edge, roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, forming a log. Pinch dough along edge to seal.
- Cut log in half lengthwise. With cut sides up, cross dough pieces at their centres forming an “x”. Twist the two pieces together into a loaf. Pinch ends and tuck them under loaf. Gently push loaf on ends and place it, cut side up, in a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough and sugar mixture.
- Cover pans with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover pans and bake until loaves are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool loaves in pans on racks for 5 minutes. Invert loaves onto racks and cool completely. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
93 calories, 1.2 g fat, 2.3 g protein, 18.9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fibre, 90 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.