CINNAMON WALNUT BARS
These tasty dessert bars consist of a cinnamon-flavoured shortbread crust and a gooey walnut filling topped with a drizzle of our Cinnamon Glaze. This recipe makes 48 small bars, which can be frozen for future use.
Yield: Makes 48.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2/3 cup white corn syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Cinnamon Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare crust, place flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a food processor; process to combine.
- Add 3/4 cup butter and process, using an on/off motion, until mixture is crumbly.
- Press mixture into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake until light golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together corn syrup, honey, 2 tbsp sugar, lemon juice, 1 tbsp butter, eggs, 2 tsp cinnamon, lemon peel, vanilla and salt. Stir in walnuts.
- Remove pan from oven. Immediately spread walnut mixture over hot crust.
- Continue baking until set, about 20 - 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around sides of pan to loosen; cool completely in pan on rack. Drizzle with Cinnamon Glaze. Let stand until glaze is set. Cut into bars. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
115 calories, 6.6 g fat, 1.6 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fibre, 43 mg sodium
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Hot water
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Combine icing sugar, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Add 1 tbsp hot water, stirring until mixture is smooth. If mixture is too thick, stir in additional hot water, 1 tsp at a time, until mixture is of drizzling consistency.