COUNTRY STYLE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Homemade biscuits are a huge staple of American country-style cuisine. These buttermilk biscuits cook up in under 20 minutes and can be served with any saucy dinner or with country-style gravy for brunch.
Yield: Makes 15.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently 5 times. Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick. Using a floured 2 inch cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until lightly browned.
96 calories, 3.8 g fat, 2.5 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g fibre, 157 mg sodium