Couscous pudding has the taste and texture of rice pudding, but it cooks up far more quickly. Serve it for dessert with a dollop of jam, fruit sauce or fruit purée.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3 cups milk (2%)
- 1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine water and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover; remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine couscous, milk, brown sugar and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Gradually whisk 1 cup of couscous mixture into beaten egg. Gradually whisk egg mixture back into couscous mixture in pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer pudding to a bowl. Cool pudding to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
249 calories, 3.2 g fat, 10.5 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 1.1 g fibre, 251 mg sodium