Cranberry Apple Cider
Infused with holiday spices and orange citrus, serve this warm cider on a cold winter's night, it is sure to become a family favourite.
Yield: Makes about 12 cups.
December 07, 2020
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved crosswise*
- 1 tsp whole cloves*
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced* or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 8 cups no-sugar-added pure cranberry juice
- 4 cups pure unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- Place cinnamon sticks, cloves and ginger on a piece of cheesecloth. Gather cheesecloth around spices to form a sachet and tie with butcher’s twine; set aside.
- Combine cranberry juice, apple juice, brown sugar, orange slices and sachet of spices in a large pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until fragrant, about 12 – 15 minutes. Discard sachet and orange slices before serving.
141 calories, 0.4 g fat, 0.9 g protein, 36.5 g carbohydrate, 0.9 g fibre, 8 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in the nutritional analysis.
Look for pure cranberry juice in the organic section of your local grocery store. Alternatively, unsweetened cranberry cocktail may be used.
Serving cider at a get-together? Pour hot cider into a slow cooker and keep it on the warm setting. Guests will be able to enjoy hot cider for up to 2 hours.