CREAM CHEESE SUGAR COOKIES
A little bit of cream cheese will give your sugar cookies a softer, creamier texture and a richer taste. Roll out the dough and use your favourite cookie cutters to make the prettiest Christmas cookies.
Yield: Makes 3 dozen.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 4 oz \(125g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually beat in sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and almond extract until blended.
- Using low speed, beat in flour and salt just until combined. Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape.
- Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Meanwhile, remove one disc of dough from refrigerator. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough 3/8 inch thick. Using decorative cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining disc of dough.
- Bake at 375°F until cookies are firm and starting to colour around edges, about 8 - 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove from cookie sheets and cool cookies on racks. Decorate if desired. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 week. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
105 calories, 6.4 g fat, 1 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 69 mg sodium