CREAMED LEEK GRATIN
Creamy leeks make a great holiday side dish alongside other traditional sides like potatoes and greens. The breadcrumbs in this dish give it a satisfying crunch.
Yield: Serves 8
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 16 cups sliced halved leeks (white and tender light green portions only)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine is evaporated.
- Reduce heat and sauté until leeks are softened, about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Add cream, goat cheese, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 8x11.5 inch baking dish.
- To prepare topping, combine panko, Swiss cheese and 2 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle over leek mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
343 calories, 19.1 g fat, 10.2 g protein, 33.1 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fibre, 262 mg sodium