CREAMY COCONUT TAPIOCA PUDDING
Cooking tapioca pearls turns them into a creamy and satisfying pudding. Coconut and pineapple give a sweet tropical twist to this classic dessert.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup pearl tapioca
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 cup homogenized milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract*
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat; add tapioca and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Combine coconut milk, milk, sugar, coconut extract and salt in a medium heavy saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until mixture is steaming.
- Stir in tapioca and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and tapioca is tender, about 15 – 20 minutes for firm tapioca and 40 minutes for soft tapioca.
- Remove from heat. Transfer pudding to a bowl. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Serve topped with pineapple and coconut.
353 calories, 23.5 g fat, 4.2 g protein, 35.9 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fibre, 75 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.