Crêpes with Mushroom Cream Sauce
Crepes with Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (2%)
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- Salted butter*
- Mushroom Cream Sauce*
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, milk, water and chives together in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth. Add melted butter and continue to whisk until incorporated.
- Heat an 8 inch non-stick crepe pan or frypan over medium-low heat. Lightly coat pan with additional butter. Remove pan from heat. Pour ¼ cup batter into pan. Swirl pan until batter evenly coats the surface. Return pan to heat and cook until crepe is firm around edges and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Loosen edges of crepe from pan using a spatula. Slide spatula under crepe and quickly flip it over; cook for an additional 30 seconds or just until lightly browned.
- Transfer crepe to a parchment paper-lined large rimmed baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining batter, adding additional butter as necessary. Do not stack crepes; cool completely. Crepes may be frozen for up to 2 months. If freezing, layer crepes with parchment paper in an airtight container. Makes 18.
Nutritional analysis per crepe:
96 calories, 4 g fat, 3.3 g protein, 11.4 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 107 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup white wine
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cups milk (2%)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup shredded smoked Gouda
- 1 ½ cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- Melt butter with oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion until softened and slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms; sauté until softened and slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Pour in wine. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and Dijon mustard. Stir until incorporated. Reduce heat to medium. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper. Stir in Gouda cheese, ½ Swiss cheese and thyme. Stir until cheese is melted. Transfer sauce to a heatproof bowl. Let cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature. Partially cover bowl and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 1 hour. Remove sauce from refrigerator. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread 1/3 cup mushroom sauce down centre of each crepe. Roll up crepes to enclose filling. Transfer crepes to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining Swiss cheese. Crepes may be prepared to the point and cooked or refrigerated overnight.
- Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 25 – 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Makes 18 crepes.
Nutritional analysis per crepe: 226 calories, 11 g fat, 10.1 g protein, 20.8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fibre, 290 mg sodium