CURRIED RICE AND VEGETABLE PILAF
A pilaf is a rice dish cooked in broth, which infuses the grains of rice with flavour. For this recipe, we cook rice and veggies in a solution of curry powder, ginger and lemon peel.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, curry powder and lemon peel; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in cauliflower, rice, red pepper, onions and salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer over low heat for 17 - 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in peas. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
408 calories, 12.4 g fat, 8.4 g protein, 65.6 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fibre, 586 mg sodium