DARK AND DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH RICH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
You can’t beat chocolate on chocolate. This decadently fudgy cake is made all the richer with coffee granules and buttermilk. Serve it at a birthday party or whenever you need an intense hit of chocolate.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting pans)*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Rich Chocolate Frosting*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9 inch round baking pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; grease parchment paper and dust with cocoa.
- Combine flour, sugar, 3/4 cup cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine hot water and coffee granules, stirring until dissolved; cool.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a bowl until blended. Whisk in coffee. Add coffee mixture to flour mixture.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat just until blended, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a cake tester insterted in centre comes out clean, about 30 - 35 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks, remove parchment paper and cool completely. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread thickly with some of the Rich Chocolate Frosting. Place second cake layer on top. Spread remaining Rich Chocolate Frosting over top and sides of cake.
433 calories, 15.7 g fat, 6.1 g protein, 71.8 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fibre, 577 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Yield: Makes about 4 cups.
- Combine hot water and coffee granules, stirring until dissolved; cool to room temperature.
- Combine icing sugar and cocoa.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Beat in half of icing sugar mixture and half of coffee until blended. Beat in remaining icing sugar mixture, remaining coffee and vanilla until fluffy.