Carrots are delicious as dill pickles. Use these garlicky dilled carrots in the same way that you’d use cucumber dill pickles.
Yield: Makes 7 pints jars.
July 02, 2019
- 5 lb carrots
- 6 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 7 clove garlic
- 14 heads fresh dill
- 3 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- Peel carrots and cut into 3/4 inch thick sticks, 1 inch shorter than jar.
- To prepare pickling liquid, combine vinegar, water and salt in a nonreactive Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt.
- In each hot sterilized jar, place 1 clove garlic, 1 head dill, and 1/2 tsp pepper flakes. Pack carrot sticks into jars and place a second head of dill on top. Pour boiling pickling liquid over carrots, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a narrow rubber spatula or plastic knife. Add additional pickling liquid, if required, to maintain headspace.
- Wipe jar rims thoroughly with a clean damp cloth. Seal and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. For altitudes higher than 3000 ft, add 5 minutes to processing time.
46 calories, 0.2 g fat, 0.8 g protein, 8.6 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fibre, 1920 mg sodium