EASY MARINARA SAUCE
This classic Italian tomato sauce is so handy and versatile. Use it over pasta, on top of meatballs and other meat dishes or as a dipping sauce for finger foods. Unlike more robust tomato sauces, it cooks up in a matter of minutes.
Yield: Makes 3 cups
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (tomatoes through red pepper flakes). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, puree until almost smooth. Alternatively, mash with a potato masher.
9 calories, 0.6 g fat, 0.2 g protein, 0.9 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 36 mg sodium