- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 8 eggs
- 8 slices cooked back bacon, sauteed
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, halved and toasted
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Fill a medium saucepan two-thirds full with water. Stir in vinegar and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Working in batches, crack each egg into a custard cup and carefully pour egg into simmering water.
- Poach eggs to desired doneness, about 3 – 5 minutes for soft poached eggs and 7 – 10 minutes for firm poached eggs. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon; drain eggs on paper towels.
- Place 1 slice of back bacon on each muffin half. Top each piece of back bacon with a poached egg. Pour about 3 tbsp of Hollandaise Sauce over each poached egg. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 238 calories, 9.7 g fat, 19.2 g protein, 17.8 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fibre, 712 mg sodium
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup pasteurized liquid egg product
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine wine, vinegar, onion and pepper in a small nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Strain wine mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Cool to room temperature.
- Melt butter over medium heat and bring to a simmer; keep hot. Place wine mixture and liquid egg product in a blender; blend until combined. With machine running, pour hot melted butter through opening in lid in a thin steady stream, blending until slightly thickened. Blend in lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately. Do not hold or reheat this sauce.
Nutritional analysis per 1 tbsp serving:
55 calories, 5.8 g fat, 0.6 g protein, 0.2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 68 mg sodium