EVERYDAY CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Unsweetened cocoa powder*
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9 inch round baking pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; grease parchment paper and dust with cocoa.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until mixture is thick and pale in colour, about 5 minutes. Fold in flour mixture. Add boiling water and stir just until blended. Do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks, remove parchment paper and cool completely.
430 calories, 16.3 g fat, 5.5 g protein, 68.3 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fibre, 573 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
As an alternative to baking two round cakes, this cake may be baked in a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 45 - 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on a rack.