Fattoush is a Middle Eastern dish that is also called “Pita Bread Salad.” Filled with bits of crisp pita, herbs, cucumber and feta cheese, it’s substantial enough to serve as a lunch entrée.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 2 pita bread
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups diced seeded English cucumber
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place pita bread on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until crisp and lightly toasted, about 8 - 10 minutes; cool. Break into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon peel, salt, pepper, turmeric and garlic in a large bowl. Add mint, parsley, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper and onions. Toss with dressing to coat. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Add lettuce, feta cheese and pita bread and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
183 calories, 13.4 g fat, 5.1 g protein, 12.3 g carbohydrate, 2.7 g fibre, 367 mg sodium