Let your little ones discover their inner artist in the heart of your home - the kitchen! These finger paints are not safe to eat, but the hand soap in the recipe makes for quick clean-up. Recommended for kids aged 3 years and older.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
March 31, 2020
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pkg (7 g) unflavoured gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup white liquid hand soap
- 3/4 tsp liquid food colouring or 6 tsp ground coloured sidewalk chalk
- Place 1/4 cup cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 3/4 cup cold water and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk 1 cup boiling water into cornstarch mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk gelatin mixture and liquid hand soap into cornstarch mixture.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Divide mixture bewteen small containers. Add 1/8 tsp liquid food colouring or 1 tsp ground coloured sidewalk chalf to each 1/2 cup mixture. Stire to combine.
- May be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.