- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tsp salted butter, softened
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 2 apples
- To prepare filling, combine oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Using a melon baller or small spoon, cut out and discard apple core from each apple, leaving bottom of apple intact.
- Fill apple holes with filling, dividing equally and packing down as needed.
- Wrap each apple individually in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Make sure to keep open end of apples up by wrapping the top into a candy kiss shape.
- Put apples inside fire pit close to, but not on, white-hot coals. Cook until apples are soft, about 30-40 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes.
- Using tongs or heat-proof gloves, remove from fire pit and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
355 calories, 10.4 g fat, 4.7 g protein, 64.6 g carbohydrate, 6.8 g fibre, 192 mg sodium
We used Royal Gala Apples in testing this recipe.
This recipe can also be done on the barbecue! Preheat your natural gas barbecue to medium heat. With the lid down, cook apples wrapped in foil on the grill until soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.