FIRESIDE CHICKEN STEW
This creamy chicken stew just may become your new winter comfort food favourite. Packed with root vegetables and dried herbs, make a meal of it with a thick piece of Artisan bread.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 12 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp marjoram, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, crumbled
- 2 cans (10 oz/284 mL each) chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled red potato cubes (1 inch)
- 2 cups rutabaga cubes (1 inch)
- 2 cups carrot sticks (2 inch)
- 2 cups parsnip sticks (2 inch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Add chicken to pan in batches and brown on both sides. Transfer chicken to a plate; keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Stir in onions and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in wine, marjoram and rosemary; bring to a boil. Boil until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in broth, potatoes, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Reheat stew before proceeding.
- Whisk together cream and cornstarch until blended; stir into stew. Simmer, stirring frequently, until stew is thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
573 calories, 24.5 g fat, 45.1 g protein, 35.9 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fibre, 546 mg sodium