FLANK STEAK WITH ZESTY CHIMICHURRI
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup canola oil
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 2 lb (1 kg) flank steak
- Zesty Chimichurri*
- To prepare marinade, combine wine, oil, oregano, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and mustard seed in a large heavy zip-lock plastic bag. Add steak and squeeze bag to coat steak with marinade. Seal bag and place on a tray. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on medium for 10 - 15 minutes. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade, oregano, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and mustard seed. Sprinkle steak with salt.
- Grill steak over medium heat to medium rare, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Using a sharp knife, held at a 45° angle, slice steak against the grain into thin slices. Serve with Zesty Chimichurri.
201 calories, 13.5 g fat, 16.9 g protein, 0.6 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 35 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
To bruise garlic, peel cloves and flatten them with the side of a knife blade.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp salt
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
68 calories, 6.8 g fat, 0.3 g protein, 1.7 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 42 mg sodium