This custard pie is a Canadian prairie classic! With a graham cracker crust, a filling that’s thickened on the stove and a fluffy meringue topping, this pie is designed to impress.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/3 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted
- 3 cups homogenized milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare crust, combine crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Add melted butter; mix well. Reserve 1/4 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch pie pan. Bake for 8 minutes; cool.
- To prepare filling, scald milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Beat egg yolks to blend. Gradually stir 1/2 cup scalded milk into beaten yolks; whisk yolk mixture back into scalded milk in saucepan. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, flour and dash salt. Whisk into milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tbsp butter and vanilla. Place lid on saucepan; set aside.
- To prepare meringue, use medium speed of an electric mixer and beat egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and dash salt. Beat into egg white mixture, 1 tbsp at a time, until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour hot pie filling into crust. Spoon meringue onto filling. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake until meringue is golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature, no longer than 4 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
407 calories, 17.3 g fat, 7.3 g protein, 56.9 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fibre, 316 mg sodium