FRIED EGG AND CHORIZO SANDWICHES
Chorizo is a spicy Spanish sausage. While some varieties of chorizo are sold fresh, we use traditional cured chorizo for these quick and tasty breakfast sandwiches.
Yield: Makes 4.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper Mayo
- 8 slices Everyday Bread or white bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 2 ready-to-serve deli chorizo sausages (about 125 g each)
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices Manchego cheese
- Spread Roasted Red Pepper Mayo on one side of bread slices, dividing equally. Top each of 4 bread slices with arugula, dividing equally; set all bread slices aside.
- Cut each sausage lengthwise into 4 slices. Cut each slice crosswise into 2 pieces. There should be 16 pieces. Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add sausage pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and heated through.
- Transfer sausage pieces to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Drain off all but 1 tsp fat from frypan.
- Crack eggs into frypan and cook over medium heat to desired doneness. Flip eggs over. Top each egg with 2 slices of cheese. Cover frypan and cook until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Place 1 fried egg on each arugula-topped bread slice. Top each fried egg with 4 sausage pieces. Cover with remaining bread slices. Serve immediately.
637 calories, 42.6 g fat, 35.6 g protein, 27.9 g carbohydrate, 1.4 g fibre, 1520 mg sodium
Chorizo is a seasoned, spicy pork sausage used in Spanish and Mexican cooking. Chorizo sausage sold in the deli department of grocery stores is fully cooked and ready to serve. It is different than raw chorizo sausage, which is sold in the meat refrigerator case of grocery stores.
Manchego cheese is a richly flavoured Spanish cheese. Look for it in the deli department of large grocery stores.
- 1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red peppers, patted dry
- 2 tbsp sliced green onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Place roasted peppers, green onion, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne pepper in a mini food processor; process, using an on/off motion, until almost smooth.
- Transfer roasted pepper mixture to a bowl. Add mayonnaise and stir to combine. May be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
52 calories, 5.5 g fat, 0.2 g protein, 0.7 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 58 mg sodium