GINGER APPLE PIE
- Pastry for a 9 inch double-crust pie
- All-purpose flour (for dusting surface)*
- 2 1/2 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples
- 2 1/2 cups sliced peeled Red Delicious apples
- 3/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger, optional
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- Milk (2%)*
- Granulated sugar*
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out half of pastry on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9 inch pie plate, allowing for 1/2 inch overhang.
- Combine apples, brown sugar, tapioca, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Spoon apple mixture into crust. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry and use for top crust. Trim, fold and flute edges of pastry. Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut vents in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Cool pie completely in pie plate on a rack.
300 calories, 11.9 g fat, 1.6 g protein, 48.3 g carbohydrate, 1.8 g fibre, 222 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
If desired, this pie may be frozen before baking. If freezing, do not use a glass pie plate. Bake pie from frozen at 425ºF for 10 minutes, then at 350ºF until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 1 1/2 hours.