- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 tbsp finely chopped drained preserved ginger
- 1 tbsp syrup from preserved ginger
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium stainless steel bowl until blended.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Do not allow water to touch bowl.
- Cook mixture, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened, frothy and pale yellow in colour, about 10 minutes. Mixture should almost double in volume.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute. Serve immediately. Do not hold or reheat sabayon.
Nutritional analysis per 1 tbsp:
23 calories, 0.6 g fat, 0.5 g protein, 3.6 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 3 mg sodium