GREEK BEEF AND ORZO
Orzo is a small, almost rice-like short-cut pasta. This recipe dresses it up with ground beef and typically Greek ingredients like feta cheese and oregano.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 cup shredded feta cheese
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add beef and cook, stirring to break up beef, until browned, about 7 - 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients (tomato sauce through orzo). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
167 calories, 13 g fat, 4.5 g protein, 9.3 g carbohydrate, 2.4 g fibre, 257 mg sodium