GREEK CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP
This comforting soup is our version of Avgolemono, a traditional lemony Greek soup. Full of chicken and rice, this soup is filling enough to serve as a weeknight meal.
Yield: Serves 5.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; sauté until vegetables are softened, about 4 - 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken and water; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20 - 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a cutting board; reserve mixture in Dutch oven. When cool enough to handle, use two forks to shred chicken; set aside.
- Return Dutch oven to medium heat. Add rice and lemon juice; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Add shredded chicken, parsley, lemon peel, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until combined and chicken is heated through. As the rice absorbs liquid, this soup is best served immediately.
338 calories, 12.4 g fat, 19.3 g protein, 36.1 g carbohydrate, 2.1 g fibre, 776 mg sodium