GREEK QUINOA SALAD
Hardier than a traditional Greek salad, this cold side dish is full of chickpeas, quinoa, spinach, cucumbers and grape tomatoes. Serve it alongside your favourite Greek entrée or on its own as a light lunch.
Yield: Serves 12.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cubed feta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups chopped English cucumber
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- Place water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 14 - 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Fluff quinoa with a fork and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dressing, stir together basil, vinegar, oregano, pepper and salt until combined. Gradually whisk in oil until blended.
- Combine quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, feta, cucumber, yellow pepper, tomatoes and red onion in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours. Stir before serving.
229 calories, 12.9 g fat, 8.6 g protein, 20.6 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fibre, 383 mg sodium