GREEN ONION CAKES ON THE BARBECUE
These doughy green onion cakes are similar to those you’ll find in Chinese restaurants. Grill them up on the barbecue and serve them as an appetizer with our Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce.
Yield: Makes 32 wedges.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce*
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add hot water, mixing lightly with a fork until clumps form. Add cold water and stir just until dough starts to come together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently for 2 minutes and shape into a ball. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and let stand for 1 hour.
- Combine green onions and cilantro in a bowl; set aside.
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on medium-high heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Unwrap and transfer dough to a clean surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Roll out each ball into a circle about 8 inches in diameter. Brush about ½ tsp sesame oil evenly over each circle. Sprinkle ¼ cup green onion mixture over each.
- Roll up one circle, jelly-roll fashion, forming a log. Starting with one end of log, shape into a tight coil. Repeat procedure with remaining circles. Roll out each coil into a circle about 5 inches in diameter.
- Brush both sides of cakes with canola oil. Grill cakes in batches until grill-marked and browned on both sides, about 2 – 3 minutes per side. Cut into wedges. Serve with Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce.
57 calories, 1.6 g fat, 1.3 g protein, 9.4 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fibre, 97 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
Raw green onion cakes may be frozen for up to 1 month. If freezing, layer green onion cakes with parchment paper in an airtight container. Do not thaw before cooking.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Yield: Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Whisk together all ingredients until blended. May be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
11 calories, 0.3 g fat, 0.8 g protein, 1.5 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 446 mg sodium