Grilled Naan Bread
Naan bread is a lightly leavened East Indian flatbread. Grilled or baked, this recipe is sure to impress! This recipe is used in our Grilled Naan Bread Pizza.
Yield: Makes 12
June 10, 2020
- 1/2 cup milk (2%)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup room temperature water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- All-purpose flour (if dough is too sticky)*
- Canola oil (for oiling bowl)*
- Remove milk from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine 2 3/4 cups flour and yeast in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater.
- Whisk together milk, water, egg, yogurt, sugar, baking soda and salt until blended.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Using low speed, beat until dough comes together and forms a ball, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- If dough is too sticky, gradually beat in additional flour until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Using greased hands, shape dough into a ball.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 3 hours.
- Uncover and transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into an oval measuring about 5x9 inches. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Grill naan bread in batches over medium heat on natural gas barbecue until puffed and grill-marked, about 1 – 2 minutes per side.
118 calories, 0.9 g fat, 3.9 g protein, 22.8 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 87 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.