HEARTY SLOW COOKER CHILI
- 1 1/2 lb (0.75 kg) cubed boneless beef chuck steak (1/2 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Combine beef with remaining ingredients in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting until beef is tender, about 6 - 7 hours. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
268 calories, 6 g fat, 23.7 g protein, 34.3 g carbohydrate, 10.5 g fibre, 910 mg sodium
Cooking time may vary with makes and models of slow cookers. Do not substitute raw ground meat for the cubed steak in this recipe. For food safety, raw ground meat should never be cooked in a slow cooker.