HERB FOCACCIA BREAD
If you’ve never baked bread before, focaccia is a good place to start. The thick flat bread doesn’t require any yeast or kneading and this herbed version is baked on the barbecue. Serve it as a side with steak or other grilled entrees.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt, optional
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp thyme, crumbled
- Place frozen bread dough and oil in a heavy plastic bag. Squeeze bag to coat dough with oil. Seal and place in refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients using a mortar and pestle until crushed and blended. Place thawed bread dough and oil on a large sheet of foil. Flatten dough and sprinkle with herb mixture. Place another sheet of foil on top. Roll out dough into an oblong about 1/2 inch thick. Remove top sheet of foil.
- Flip dough directly onto barbecue grid, foil side up. Remove foil. Grill until puffed and grill-marked, about 3 - 5 minutes per side. Serve warm.
199 calories, 6.6 g fat, 5.2 g protein, 29.5 g carbohydrate, 1.8 g fibre, 380 mg sodium