HERBED SPLIT PEA SOUP
Take your traditional split pea soup to the next level by adding in rosemary, savory, thyme and cayenne pepper. If you have time, make it the day before you want to serve it — the flavours are even better when they’ve had time to mellow.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 meaty ham bone*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp savory, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp thyme, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf*
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil; skim off foam.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and ham bone. Remove meat from bone and chop; set aside.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender. Return soup to Dutch oven and stir in ham. Heat to serving temperature. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
308 calories, 0.9 g fat, 20.2 g protein, 56.1 g carbohydrate, 18.8 g fibre, 909 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.