HOLIDAY NUT MIX
This spiced nut mix is great to have on hand during the Christmas and holiday season. We use hazelnuts, cashews, pistachios and almonds in this guest-worthy snack.
Yield: Makes 4 cups.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 cup whole natural almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine hazelnuts, pistachios, cashews and almonds in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine water, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and salt in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until brown sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour brown sugar mixture over nuts and toss to coat.
- Spread mixture in a single layer in a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring once, until nuts are lightly browned, about 15 - 17 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 week. May be frozen.
218 calories, 18.6 g fat, 6 g protein, 10.2 g carbohydrate, 2.9 g fibre, 91 mg sodium