- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup pasteurized liquid egg product
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine wine, vinegar, onion and pepper in a small nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Strain wine mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Cool to room temperature.
- Melt butter over medium heat and bring to a simmer; keep hot. Place wine mixture and liquid egg product in a blender; blend until combined. With machine running, pour hot melted butter through opening in lid in a thin steady stream, blending until slightly thickened. Blend in lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately. Do not hold or reheat this sauce.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
55 calories, 5.8 g fat, 0.6 g protein, 0.2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 68 mg sodium
Tip: In recipes where the egg remains uncooked or lightly cooked, it is recommended that pasteurized egg products be used. Pasteurized egg products, such as liquid whole egg and liquid egg white, are available in the refrigerator or freezer section of most grocery stores. We used Burnbrae Farms Naturegg Break-Free Liquid Egg Product for the pasteurized liquid egg product in this recipe.