HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BUNS
These wholesome knotted rolls are as beautiful to look at as they are delicious to eat. Serve them warm with plenty of butter.
Yield: Makes 24.
July 02, 2019
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (100°F - 110°F)
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat, rye and flax cereal
- 2 tsp salt
- Canola oil (for oiling bowl)*
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Combine 2 1/2 cups warm water and honey. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand until foamy, about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Combine 3 cups flour, whole wheat flour, cereal and salt in a bowl. Stir in yeast mixture until dough comes together and forms a ball; gradually stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, if dough is too sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using greased hands, knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 - 10 minutes. Shape dough into a ball. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half. Cut each half of dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 10 inch rope. For each rope, cross ends, with the top end being slightly longer. Tuck top end under and through centre opening, creating a loose knot.
- Place knots 1 1/2 inches apart in two large parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheets. Cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 30 - 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tsp water until blended. Uncover knots and brush tops with egg mixture.
- Bake until buns are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove buns from pans and cool on racks.
158 calories, 0.8 g fat, 5 g protein, 33.6 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fibre, 199 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.