HOT CROSS BUNS
HOT CROSS BUNS
- 1 3/4 cups milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp mace
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup candied mixed peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup cool water
- To scald milk, heat in a saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge of pan.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, butter and salt; cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir into milk mixture. Add 3 cups flour and combine to make a sponge.
- Allow to rise in a warm place until slightly risen, about 1/2 hour.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, spices and egg yolks; add to sponge. Add currants, raisins, peel and enough of remaining 2 – 3 cups flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Let rise until doubled in volume.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board. Knead 4 – 5 times to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 18 pieces. Form into balls and place in two well-greased 9 inch square baking pans.
- With a sharp knife, cut a cross pattern 1/4 inch deep into top of dough.
- Combine 1 cup flour, oil and 1/2 cup cool water to form a soft dough. Roll a small amount at a time into a thin rope. Cut and place in cross on top of dough.
- Allow buns to rise until doubled in volume. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Beat egg whites lightly; gently brush onto surface of buns.
- Bake at 400°F until done, about 20 minutes. Brush once more with remaining egg whites halfway through baking time. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutritional analysis per 1 bun serving:
256 calories, 4.3 g fat, 6.3 g protein, 48 g carbohydrate, 2.1 g fibre, 173 mg sodium