JALAPENO CORN MUFFINS
These easy corn muffins are studded with bits of chopped jalapeno for just a little bit of heat. Serve them alongside chili or a Southwestern-style soup.
Yield: Makes 12.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (2%)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup frozen kernel corn, thawed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on medium heat, with a brick directly on the grid, for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together milk, oil and egg until well blended.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in corn, red pepper and jalapeno pepper. Spoon mixture into paper-lined muffin cups.
- Place muffin pan on brick. Bake, with lid down, over medium heat until a cake tester inserted into the centres come out clean, 20 - 25 minutes. Turn pan occasionally to ensure even cooking. Muffins may also be baked in a 400°F oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until muffins test done. Serve warm.
150 calories, 5.7 g fat, 3.2 g protein, 21.7 g carbohydrate, 0.9 g fibre, 205 mg sodium