LEMON CHICKEN WITH CAPERS
These thin chicken cutlets cook up quickly on the stove in a frying pan. The creamy lemon caper sauce gives the chicken a bright and tangy flavour.
Yield: Serves 2.
July 02, 2019
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, fillets removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper*
- 1/4 cup salted butter, divided
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp drained capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. Working with one chicken piece at a time, place chicken, smooth side down, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a flat meat pounder or heavy saucepan, gently pound chicken to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter with oil in a large nonstick frypan over medium heat. Cook chicken in batches, until lightly browned on both sides and completely cooked, about 1 – 2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in same frypan over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and wine; simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in lemon juice, capers, 1 tbsp parsley and lemon peel. Add cream and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Simmer, stirring, until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp parsley.
540 calories, 36.8 g fat, 44.6 g protein, 5.4 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 395 mg sodium.
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are sometimes sold with the fillets attached. When making this recipe, remove the fillets before pounding the chicken breasts. Reserve fillets for another use.