This classic quick bread is buttery and full of lemon flavour. Make an extra loaf and keep it in the freezer for the next time company comes over for coffee.
Yield: Makes 1 loaf.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk (2%)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy.
- Whisk together milk, eggs and lemon peel. Add milk mixture to butter mixture and stir until blended. Add mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8 1/2x4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare glaze, stir together 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice until combined. Drizzle glaze over top of loaf, allowing glaze to run down sides of loaf. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Invert loaf onto rack and cool completely. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
123 calories, 1.1 g fat, 2.3 g protein, 26.2 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fibre, 170 mg sodium