LEMON PECAN CAKE BISCUITS
These pull-apart biscuits have a deliciously cakey texture. Full of lemon, pecan and coconut and topped with a sweet glaze, they’re a welcome addition to any brunch table.
Yield: Makes 16.
July 02, 2019
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine pecans, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbsp melted butter and lemon peel in a shallow bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare dough, combine flour, coconut, baking powder, 1 tbsp sugar and salt in a bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Roll each ball in pecan mixture.
- Place balls in a greased 9 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle any remaining pecan mixture over balls.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare glaze, stir together icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth; set aside.
- Invert biscuits onto a rack. Place a serving plate on biscuits and invert biscuits onto serving plate. Drizzle glaze over tops of biscuits. Serve warm.
330 calories, 18 g fat, 4.8 g protein, 39.1 g carbohydrate, 1.9 g fibre, 326 mg sodium