LIME GINGER SQUARES
These delicate dessert bars are topped with a mixture of lime and crystalized ginger. Serve them with tea or part of your holiday cookie tray.
Yield: Makes 16.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash salt
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated lime peel
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Icing sugar*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with foil, leaving a 2 inch overhang; grease foil thoroughly.
- To prepare crust, process 1 cup flour, brown sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor just until combined. Add butter and pecans. Process, using an on/off motion, until a coarse meal forms.
- Press mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, sugar, 2 tbsp flour, baking powder, dash of salt, lime juice, lime peel and vanilla.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately pour egg mixture over hot crust. Sprinkle with ginger.
- Bake at 350°F until set, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack.
- Using foil as an aid, lift square from pan. Gently peel off foil.
- Dust with icing sugar; cut into squares. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
155 calories, 6.9 g fat, 2 g protein, 21.9 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fibre, 103 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.