LINGUINE WITH RED CLAM SAUCE
Pasta with tomato sauce and clams is an Italian classic. We use canned baby clams in this easy version.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 2 cans (5 oz/142 g each) baby clams
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 16 oz (500 g) linguine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- To prepare red clam sauce, heat oil in a large non-reactive frypan over medium heat. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel seed; sauté just until garlic turns light golden, about 2 minutes. Do not overcook. Stir in clams and their liquid, tomatoes, wine and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water. Combine reserved cooking water, red clam sauce and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add linguine and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
357 calories, 8.8 g fat, 16.7 g protein, 47.7 g carbohydrate, 3.9 g fibre, 180 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.