MAPLE BACON BRUSSELS SPROUTS
This luxurious vegetable dish combines Brussels sprouts with maple syrup, crispy bacon and toasted walnuts. Serve it as a side dish at your Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup diced bacon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- Freshly ground pepper*
- Cut larger Brussels sprouts in half. Cook Brussels sprouts in boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes; drain.
- Cool Brussels sprouts immediately in ice water; drain and set aside.
- Sauté bacon in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove from heat.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tbsp fat from frypan.
- Return frypan to medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add maple syrup, walnuts, lemon juice and lemon peel; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until mixture is slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- Return bacon to frypan. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, until Brussels sprouts are glazed and heated through, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with pepper. Serve immediately.
154 calories, 7.7 g fat, 4.1 g protein, 19.1 g carbohydrate, 2.1 g fibre, 149 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.