MARINATED VEGETABLE SALAD
This cold veggie side dish is packed with so many different vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, baby corn, tomatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Let the veggies soak in a brine-like dressing for a flavourful dish that is a cross between a salad and a quick pickle. It goes wonderfully with a backyard barbecued meal.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup pure white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups sliced zucchini (1/2 inch)
- 1 can (398 mL) miniature corn, drained and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- To prepare dressing, whisk together oil, white wine vinegar, pure white vinegar, lemon juice, salt, dry mustard, oregano, sugar, celery seed and garlic powder until blended.
- Combine broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, carrots, celery and onion in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drain vegetable mixture and transfer to a serving dish; discard dressing.
117 calories, 7.5 g fat, 2.7 g protein, 11.9 g carbohydrate, 3.3 g fibre, 242 mg sodium
Zucchini should be halved lengthwise and then sliced crosswise before measuring.