MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN SALAD
This entrée-sized salad is packed with chicken, romaine lettuce, kalamata olives and feta cheese. We like grilling the chicken on the barbecue for extra flavour and ease.
Yield: Serves 2.
July 02, 2019
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thick slices red onion
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 12 kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup shredded feta cheese
- To prepare dressing, whisk together oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Place chicken and onion slices separately in double zip-lock plastic bags. Add 1 tbsp of dressing to each bag. Reserve remaining dressing for salad. Squeeze bags to coat chicken and onion with dressing; seal bags. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat natural gas barbecue on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and onion from bags. Run a skewer crosswise through each slice of onion. Grill chicken and onion slices until chicken is cooked through and onion is tender, about 5 - 7 minutes per side. Cool chicken 5 minutes; cut diagonally into slices. Separate onion into rings.
- Combine chicken, onion rings, lettuce, tomatoes and olives. Toss with reserved dressing. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
497 calories, 32.1 g fat, 36.3 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 6.3 g fibre, 937 mg sodium
If desired, increase hot pepper sauce to 1/2 tsp.