MILK AND HONEY BUNS
These sweet and yeasty little buns can be used for hoagies or as dinner rolls.
Yield: Makes a dozen hoagie buns or 2 dozen dinner rolls.
July 02, 2019
MILK AND HONEY BUNS
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups homogenized milk, 100 – 110°F
- 1/3 cup salted butter, cubed and softened
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- Canola oil*
- Combine 4 cups flour, milk, butter, honey, egg, yeast and salt in an electric mixer bowl. Mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until a shaggy dough is formed, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 6 – 8 minutes. If dough is too sticky, knead in remaining ¼ cup flour until dough forms a ball. Alternatively, switch paddle attachment to a dough hook and knead for 8 – 10 minutes with electric mixer. Beat in remaining flour if needed.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl; cover with greased plastic wrap. Proof dough until almost doubled in volume, about 1½ – 2 hours.
- For hoagie buns: Cut dough into 12 pieces. Using finger tips, gently flatten and stretch each dough piece into a 5x4 inch rectangle. Fold one long edge to the centre. Press down firmly along the folded centre edge. Fold the remaining long edge to the centre. Press both seams down. Fold the dough in half along the seam. Pinch to seal the edges together.
- For dinner rolls: Cut dough into 24 pieces. Tuck the edges of each dough piece underneath to create a smooth round top. Pinch edges together to seal. Place the dough seam side down and, with a wide light grip, roll dough in circular motions on a clean counter. The dough should be able to move within your hand. The dough should stick a little to the counter; if it keeps sliding, apply a small amount of water onto the counter.
- Transfer shaped buns seam side down onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and space 2 inches apart. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap. Proof buns for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Score hoagie buns with a sharp knife. Bake until golden brown, about 22 – 25 minutes.
- Remove buns from pan and cool on racks.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
545 calories, 20.3 g fat, 29.6 g protein, 62.3 g carbohydrate, 12.8 g fibre, 1113 mg sodium