MINESTRONE SOUP WITH SAUSAGE
This traditional Italian soup is packed with pasta, white beans and a number of different vegetables. We bulk it up with sausage meat, making it substantial enough to serve for dinner.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup light olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup cubed carrots (1/2 inch)
- 1 cup cubed celery (1/2 inch)
- 1 cup cubed fennel (1/2 inch)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta, cooked, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper*
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese*
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausages and cook, stirring to break up sausages, until browned, about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Transfer sausages to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off excess fat from pan.
- Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in pan. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add carrots, celery and fennel; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Return sausages to pan. Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cooked pasta and cook, stirring, until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Top with Parmesan cheese.
435 calories, 27.6 g fat, 19.6 g protein, 27.7 g carbohydrate, 6.9 g fibre, 845 mg sodium
*Ingredients not included in nutritional analysis.