MORNING GLORY BREAD
This cheery quick bread is full of shredded carrots, crushed pineapple, coconut and pecans. Serve it as a treat at breakfast or as a snack with coffee or tea.
Yield: Makes 2 loaves.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 oz/227 mL) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened medium coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together sugar and oil in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla until blended. Stir in carrots and pineapple.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in coconut and pecans.
- Spoon batter evenly into two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 65 - 70 minutes. Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert loaves onto racks and cool completely. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
186 caloires, 9.3 g fat, 2.5 g protein, 24.0 g carbohydrate, 1.3 g fibre, 142 mg sodium